Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mission Accomplished


In March, I set a goal for myself that I would lose 25 pounds by Forecastle Festival. I had been right on track to meet my goal during the school year. Once I started staying home for the summer, it became a lot harder to lose. I weigh myself every Tuesday morning on our Wii Balance Board. I weighed myself yesterday after skipping last week. I was expecting to have either maintained or gained a few pounds. To my surprise, I had lost three pounds in the 2 weeks, which meant I had reached my goal! My goal of 25 pounds was chosen because it would put my BMI in the healthy weight range. It also put me 10 pounds over what I weighed when I got pregnant. I had weighed 10 pounds more than I weighed when I gave birth. To me, the best part of losing weight is not carrying around the equivalent of 5 Five-pound bags of flour. Carrying 5 of those in your arms would be really tiring after a while. Carrying those around all the time is much harder on your body, all the time.

The most significant part of this process has been my changed attitude towards my body. Most women will always hate some part of their body. There is always something that could be smaller or bigger, shorter or taller. A few weeks ago, I was laying naked in bed. I looked down at my body and I actually liked what I saw. I can't think of another time that I have felt this way, with the exception of pregnancy. If I have, it has been a very long time. Looking down at my body, it looked like a rolling hillside. There were hills and valleys. If I looked at a landscape like this, I would be in awe of its beauty. It was a very new feeling to look down and like what I saw and the feeling of being desirable. I like that feeling a whole lot. I hope more women can feel this way, too.

1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic. Congratulations! I'm going to pick your brain about it this weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete