Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Note to myself

Daily affirmations have always seemed new agey and hippy dip to me. When I recieved a daily reminder book last year, I tried to read it every morning. after a few weeks, I stopped because I didn't feel like they had much to do with my life. Since I picked it up earlier this month, it has been a punch in the gut each morning, reminding me how much I need to work I have to do, even if it just for today. What seems like it would be impossible to do for the rest of my life seems doable for 16 hours. Here are pieces that seemed especially relevant to me from the past few days:

"I may have big troubles but I can, if I will, make them less painful by turning my thoughts to happier things. I will not isolate myself in my problems. I will observe and enjoy the good and pleasant in the world around me."

"Let me not deprive myself the many little joys that are mine for the taking."

"Dwelling on our troubles only shuts out a world that is waiting to be enjoyed. Nothing has the real power to deprive us of the delights to be found in many daily experiences- even a simple household task, well done. For those of us who are fortunate enough to have young lives in our care, we can forget our troubles in devoting loving attention to them and their developement."

In going with the (attempted) theme of this blog, to share the beautiful things in my life, I thought it was appropriate to include some of my favorite things.

Passion flowers. (botanical spaceships)


My favorite ice cream


Stargazer lillies

No comments:

Post a Comment